Bradenton residents may love Florida’s mild weather and crystal-clear beaches, but so do rats. Locally, there are a couple of different types of rats that may invade your home, such as:
- Palm rats: You may hear them called roof rats, but here in Florida, we call them palm rats for the way they scurry up palm trees. These rats are agile, thin, and have longer tails with dark fur.
- Norway rats: Norway rats, or brown rats, have heavier bodies than palm rats and usually invade basements or ground floors since they can’t climb as well.
Both palm rats and Norway rats aren’t shy about invading homes and are especially attracted to houses with easier access to food and water. Unfortunately, having rats in your Bradenton or Sarasota home is only going to cause problems. Here’s what homeowners should know about how dangerous rats are, the best way to prevent them, and the most effective way to handle an infestation if you have one.
What Kind Of Problems Do Rats Cause In Bradenton?
Not only will they leech off your food, water, and other resources, but rats can bring other problems into your home, including:
- Diseases: Some of the most common diseases that rats spread through their urine and feces include hantavirus, salmonellosis, tularemia, and even the plague.
- Property damage: Rats have powerful teeth, so they may chew through insulation, wires, and other materials while they’re inside your home.
- Parasites: Rats can also be infested with fleas, ticks, or mites, which may spread to your family or pets if they get inside.
How To Prevent Rats In Bradenton
As scary as they are, there are some steps you can take to keep rats away from your Bradenton home, such as:
- Block off any holes or gaps in your foundation that are bigger than an inch with steel wool, and avoid using materials rats can chew through (like vinyl, plastic, and wood).
- Properly store any leftovers, food scraps, or pet food in airtight containers and packages to prevent rats from smelling them and being attracted indoors.
- Get rid of standing water sources and address other plumbing issues on your property.
- Make sure your exterior and indoor garbage cans get regularly emptied and don’t overflow.
- Trim back overgrown shrubs or low-hanging trees near your home.
The Most Effective Form Of Rat Control In Bradenton
While the first step to effective rat control is being proactive, the most effective way to deal with an existing rat infestation is with professional help from Rodent Solutions. Not only are rats dangerous once they make it onto your property, but they reproduce quickly and hide well, so they’re not easy to eliminate.
At Rodent Solutions, we’ve got the right gear and reliable treatments to safely and effectively rid your home of these unwanted visitors. We’re dedicated to solving any rodent problems that Bradenton homeowners may have, and that includes any and every rat that may wander into your home.
If you’re worried that you may have rats or you’re finding signs of them in your home, there’s only one thing to do – contact us today at Rodent Solutions to learn more about our effective rat and rodent control.